Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Like a Runner




After saying OVWA (Zoot kicks rocked it!!) to my old half marathon PR, I decided to take a look at what worked. In order to do this properly, lets go back a step. As a triathlete, I have always been under theimpression that I am not running enough to be a fast runner. To compensate for
this I have spent a long time running my easy runs close to marathon pace. Maybe this works well for some, and maybe it is what has given me a solid endurance base.

BUT, in transition from the offy after a late season Ironman
to starting to train again I went back to something I love. Trail running. I
spent January exploring a myriad of trails I have never run in Tucson. Some of
it ended up being run/walk because it was so steep, okay, yes I have cuts on my
back from a duck and roll. Fine, now I have a weak ankle. A few losses that do
not nearly amount to the sum of gains made.

Since I was on trails, I was running slowly. This allowed me to relax, and not look at pace. Then when it came time to sharpen up with a few track sessions to prepare for my first race, the speed was there. I didn’t know how without any fast running, but it was there. I just ran The Lost Dutchman Half Marathon in a 1:15:59. This was 2:30 faster than I ran Rock ‘n’ Roll half in Phoenix a couple years ago. Yes a lot has changed since then, but this is
the fact I keep on coming back to:

If you want to be a fast runner, run like a runner. Hit your
hard runs HARD. Easy runs are time on your feet, nothing more. Don’t get stuck in the middle. It is never a good place to be. I know, you are saying, ‘but I
only run 45 miles a week, I need to make them count!’ Well, here is my opinion,
you don’t. Run like a Runner. Gain the cardio fitness from the bike and swim.
(Especially if you ride like a cyclist and swim like a swimmer)



What better way to celebrate than a photo shoot with Elliot (slept in) and Amy(ran a 1:22) post race?
Next Up: Turns out Pacing Helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment